[time-nuts] Z3805 utility, Was: AW: (no subject)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon May 24 12:54:37 UTC 2010

Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Gotta label them *something* or sorting through them in the cable bin becomes pretty difficult.
>
> In addition to the wiring options you can (obviously) have either a male or female on either end. There are so many "odd" pieces of gear out there that you can have pretty much any combination.
>
> Bob

A while ago, I standardized on ALL straight through cables, M to F, and
made "null modem" adapters.  So, now the bin has F:F and M:M widgets and
F to F null modems in various flavors. I think I also still have a bunch
of MFMF short cables made from ribbon cable and insulation displacing
connectors (a sort of universal adapter).

Anyway, the key was having "null modem adapters" that are clearly
identified as such, and everything else straight through.