[time-nuts] Most accurate small crystal

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri May 28 14:29:37 UTC 2010

Hi

There are whole series of papers on each of the effects you are asking about. They all have first, second, third .... order impacts. You could also add things like drive level, electric field, and (obviously) load onto your list. There are also papers on the cross correlation between issues. Things like load, drive, and temperature are indeed inter-related.

The gotcha is that the crystal they studied  probably isn't the crystal you have. Simply put, a 2" diameter blank in a 3" glass holder is going to have different "major" issues than a 2x3mm ceramic package strip crystal.The only way to actually know the impact on the crystal you have is to measure it.  Even crystals from the same batch will have different specific issues.

If you are looking at a bare crystal, the issues will be very different than if you are trying to model a modern OCXO.

Best starting place - buy the CD's of the back issues of the Frequency Control Symposium. Each issue has a couple dozen papers looking at the kinds of issues you are interested in. The symposium has been running for a lot of years, there are lots of papers to dig into.

Bob