[time-nuts] Soekris NET4501, NTP, PPS and "Inappropriate ioctl"

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Mon Nov 1 15:28:25 UTC 2010

I'm putting together an NTP server on a Soekris NET4501, using an
Oncore M12+. I can't get the Atom PPS refclock to load, it reports
"refclock_atom: time_pps_create failed: Inappropriate ioctl for
device." (/dev/pps0 is linked to /dev/elan-mmcr)

I can get it working using only the Oncore refclock driver if I also
provide the PPS signal to /dev/cuau1 DCD pin (/dev/oncore.pps.0 linked
to /dev/cuau1), but I'm pretty sure that doesn't then use the special
timer available on the 4501, just the "plain old" Oncore PPS. (linking
/dev/oncore.pps.0 to /dev/elan-mmcr doesn't work, either)

I'm asking the group for help, since many have been down a similar path
with NTP on the NET4501. I'm past the "dangerous" stage in *nix
userspace, have previously patched PPS into a Debian kernel and gotten
it working, but get lost with low level stuff.

These are the relevant config settings. I've tried both with/without
PPS_SYNC. FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE:
---
Kernel config:
cpu             I486_CPU
ident           SOEKRIS

options         CPU_ELAN
options         CPU_SOEKRIS
options         HZ=1000
options         CPU_ELAN_PPS
options         GEOM_VOL
options         PPS_SYNC
---
nanobsd config: I don't think anything special is required here. ntpd
version 4.2.4p5 is installed by default.
---
/dev :
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel            5 Oct 31 13:18 oncore.pps.0 ->
cuau1
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel            5 Oct 31 13:18 oncore.serial.0 ->
cuau1
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel            9 Oct 31 13:18 pps0 -> elan-mmcr
---
ntp.conf:
#
tos mindist 0.050
# Motorola Oncore M12+ Timing
server 127.127.30.0 ttl 1 prefer minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
# PPS
server 127.127.22.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4