[time-nuts] Soekris NET4501, NTP, PPS and "Inappropriate ioctl"

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Mon Nov 1 17:19:26 UTC 2010

Mike,

IIRC you link:  /dev/oncore.pps.0 to /dev/elan-mmcr

But then you also need to maybe set a flag to make sure it triggers on assert (and not clear)?

> I'm putting together an NTP server on a Soekris NET4501, using an
> Oncore M12+. I can't get the Atom PPS refclock to load, it reports
> "refclock_atom: time_pps_create failed: Inappropriate ioctl for
> device." (/dev/pps0 is linked to /dev/elan-mmcr)

I'll email you directly my build files for my NanoBSD (I built it with 6.3 & 7)...

If you want to give NTPns a try I have a couple images ready to go (will fit on a 256MB CF or larger)

http://www.rabel.org/ntpns/ntpns_NanoBSD_6.3.tar.bz2
or
http://www.rabel.org/ntpns/ntpns_NanoBSD_7.tar.bz2

PPS input is set for pin #10 on the soekris, you can change it to your liking though (just be sure to copy the changed file to the
/cfg folder)

When it boots I have it run ntpdate just to get a coarse time (if it's too far off NTPns doesn't like that)...