[time-nuts] A real world project need for timing accuracy...

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 2 14:16:09 UTC 2010

A couple questions..
what's the firing rate?  Are we talking many seconds between loading
single rounds in a bolt action, or looking at the ballistics of a rapid
fire weapon?  The latter would require more quick
measurement/computation.. that would push towards either a very much
smarter downrange component (so that the telemetry link can carry fewer
bits/sec of post processd data) or sending raw signals back to the
shooter end, where you can put arbitrary horsepower on it.

For the latter, I'm thinking the "modulate output of piezo/acoustic
sensors onto subcarriers" is the way to go.. Send it back using an
inexpensive RF or laser link with a gain antenna at the shooter end (use
a simpler antenna at the remote end, because it's going to get shot up,
eventually)