[time-nuts] 10 MHz phase detector: 4046 or separate XOR (74HCT1G86)?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 5 14:02:43 UTC 2010

On 11/05/2010 09:28 AM, Achim Vollhardt wrote:
> Any idea on what would be a preferred (stable) device for a 10 MHz phase
> detector? I know that many use the 4046 (which has amongst others an XOR
> intetgrated) but what are the exact pros and cons of the different
> approaches compared to a (example) SOT-23 type 74HCT1G86?

Assuming that both signals has good S/N ratio and suitable signal level
and transient shapes. the 74HCT86 should be better than the old CMOS
4046. I would expect a PI-loop to be used.

Better yeat is a SR-flip-flop which would give a working range of +/-
180 degrees rather than +/- 90 degrees. A 74HCT00 could realize one of
those.

Cheers,
Magnus