[time-nuts] Setting clocks 100 years ago

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Fri Nov 5 15:00:15 UTC 2010

I remember the ball dropping at Greenwich at noon GMT, but that's
because it was summer, and 1 PM BST. Makes you wonder how they
interpolated the hour after the noon transit. Chronometers must
have been pretty good by then, or there would have been no
point to generating a time signal.

The US Navy dropped the ball at noon when it dropped a ball.

See http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/timeball.htm

People who didn't have a ball and mast used a "noon gun." These
were also used inland. I remember seeing (on TV) one of them
with an arrangement that use magnified light from the sun to
light the fuse on the cannon.

If you Google "noon gun" you will be flooded with information
about the cannon on Signal Hill in Cape Town, SA. Use the advanced
search to reject "Cape Town" and many other locations will appear.

Bill Hawkins