[time-nuts] GPS USB dongle for time server

jim s jws at jwsss.com
Tue Nov 9 01:14:09 UTC 2010

This is probably the thousandth time this was asked, but I googled and
didn't get a direct answer.

I want to do a crude (as in to the second or so) time server inhouse to
add into a group of high accuracy servers.  This is so that I can go off
grid and still get updates.

I see that there is a way to get a feed called PPS or with PPS via
RS232.  The discussions of using USB instead are concerned with having
too much jitter.

since USB by its nature won't have an accurate exact dedicated line to
let the GPS toggle to do a time hack to the software, I can see why
RS232 is preferable with the hardware signal lines they have.

If I just go with the NEMA stream as it gets to me via an USB HID Com
port, I assume that there will be some jitter baring a way to send in
the physical time hack.

Any pointers to reading or comment on this would be appreciated.  I am
probably asking the query before I should, as far as research, and
appreciate any replies.

Jim