[time-nuts] 5 and 10 MHz crystal filters

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Mon Nov 15 22:17:55 UTC 2010

Rick -

Unless I  misunderstood, I do not believe what you said is correct. A
crystal filter  can indeed improve the far out phase noise of a crystal
oscillator. The oscillator's noise is not only a function of the crystal,
but, the combination of the crystal noise and the amplifier noise used for
feedback and the Q of that circuit. All of those additional components
degrade crystal noise. Consequently, a 100 Hz wide filter at 10 MHz can
really do a nice job on just a decent 10 MHz oscillator. Lincoln Labs proved
this in their EDM of a satcom system in the early 80's that then I took over
in industry to replicate and improve in 1986. We did have a 10 MHz crystal
filter in there for cleanup. In our application, the final transmit
frequency was close to 45 GHz, and it needed to be very clean, even after an
optimal architecture used to get us up there. 73 - Mike

Mike B. Feher, EOZ Inc.
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731
732-886-5960 office