[time-nuts] Do I have a defective thunderbolt?

Pieter ten Pierick time-nuts-mail at tenpierick.com
Fri Nov 19 10:34:12 UTC 2010

Hi,

> Both slashes work fine for me!

That is an artifact of IE on Windows.
According to RFC 1738, URLs use the '/' to separate components of a
hierarchy.
Because MS-DOS (and therefor Windows...) uses '\' as a path separator,
people using Windows will type the wrong separator in an URL.
That is then 'fixed' by IE, instead of educating the user that the wrong
separator is used...
Problem is that people also use this wrong separator in html files,
resulting in broken images/links :-(

Also result of the difference in path separator between Unix and Windows:
At my previous company a Sun workstation running Solaris was used as the
main controller for the testbench and product, while a lot of people used
Windows on the desktop.
Sometimes I found files such as '\home\user\datafiles\bla\testresults.txt'
on the machine, using the wrong separator.
That PC user of course not understanding why the result file was not in
his/her home directory :-)

Greetings,
Pieter.