[time-nuts] GPS jamming susceptibility

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 23 13:35:18 UTC 2010

On 23/11/10 14:17, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Most telecom systems are still a "timing monoculture". All of their sources
> of time are duplicates of the same thing. There are multiple categories of
> trouble that will affect all of their sources. Redundancy with multiple
> types of timing is what would make a more robust system. That's the stuff
> you rarely if ever see.

I've seen it. It is being deployed by operators wanting a stable setup.
There are operators which has multiple clock sources at multiple sites
and planned redundant paths in hierarchial fashion to their complete core.

I have also seen that multiple GPS receivers is being deployed in the
network for significant geographical redundancy (over the size of the
network).

But I do agree that many is more or less clue-less about the issue, one
way or another. It is just that there is those which have deployed
fairly extensive redundancy in their network.

Cheers,
Magnus