[time-nuts] 60kHz Loop antenna

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Oct 3 13:55:39 UTC 2010

On 10/03/2010 03:33 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> Years ago I built a modification of the double shielded WWVB loop
> antenna described by Don Lancaster in a 1973 magazine.
>
> http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/RadioElectronics/Aug1973/RE_Aug1973.htm
>
> I have been using that same antenna ever since with good results in NH
> where the signal is pretty weak and can always get a strong signal. I have
> used it with both a Tracor 599J and an older modified RMS Engineering receiver
> that was originally designed for WWVL. I did have to rebuild the amp and circuit
> board in the base of the loop a few years ago when it failed because the seals
> had started to let water in and the whole amp was a total loss.

Thanks for the link. Always nice to get some input.

Have anybody cared to tune the isolating loop for better noise-suppression?

It will interact with the H-field due to stray capacitance over the
isolation gap, so by tuning it suitably it could be made to short out a
strong interference of higher frequency. Thus, it can act as a null in
addition to the normal resonance of the antenna.

Cheers,
Magnus