[time-nuts] 60kHz Loop antenna

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sun Oct 3 18:47:32 UTC 2010

I observed a diurnal phase shift with my 117A system. I never investigated
whether this was due to loop phase shifts with temperature or propagation,
but it was likely a combination.

These phase shifts matter less if you are doing long term (multi-day)
measurements, but, to be valid, your system has to maintain phase lock for
the entire time. In my experience, that rarely happens in my location.
Remember a 1 cycle hop is about 16-17 usecond.

Phase shilt with temperature becomes a real worry if you are trying to
adjust a local standard in a few hours or a day.

FWIW,

-John