[time-nuts] Radio based time stations

Lee Reynolds kd1sq at spamcop.net
Tue Oct 5 11:30:46 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
Chuck wrote -
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 00:16:29 -0400
From: Chuck Harris <cfharris at erols.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 60 KHz Receiver
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

>snip<

And if you are worried about the station being in North America,
there are time stations in virtually every corner of the world.

Sad to say, Chuck, those stations are fading fast. Many nations have dropped
out of the business of providing time in that fashion in the last decade or
so. Australia was one of the more notable recent losses. I don't believe
that the African continent has a single station left. Even CHU was being
eyed speculatively by the Canadian powers a while back. Overall, we probably
now have a quarter to a third of the SW time stations compared to those that
that existed 20 years ago.

I suspect that the increasing availability of cheap GPSDO gear to the
average Joe had a lot to do with it.

Lee