[time-nuts] 60 KHz Receiver

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 01:09:11 UTC 2010

Gents,

Wrote: Its not just diurnal shift it plain old jumps anytime. Have been monitoring for periods from the east coast using both a Tracor 577 and 2  X HP vlf117 rcvrs. All kinds of stuff occur.

Reply: That’s fine equipment that you have.  What I don’t know but have to find out if the newer semi-conductors would make a better receiver.  Trash factor acknowledged.

Wrote:  I like you want a second source but will say I was spoiled by loran.  Maybe I did not realize how much.  Even though my first loran timing recvr was homebrew in about 1989 as I recall.

Reply: I’m very impressed that you could make a homebrew Loran receiver

Wrote: How far are you from wwvb??

Reply:  I’m 1274 Miles according to Yahoo maps.  By the crow flying probably 1100 miles.  I live in Manchester, TN.  According to the NIST map I’m in the middle of the 100 micro-volt per meter zone, so I’m probably better than that but I don’t know by how much better yet.

Regards,

Perrier