[time-nuts] GPS backup for the stationary time and frequencyuser

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sun Oct 10 05:19:35 UTC 2010

On Oct 9, 2010, at 12:47 PM, jimlux wrote:
> Simple GPS jammers are pretty easy, since consumer GPS is very vulnerable to repeater jammers.  Hmm I wonder if that would adversely affect a GPSDO?  Probably not, since the repeated signal is just as stable as the original one.

I would think that with a little bit more effort, one could make a fairly simple repeater jammer that broadcasts a substantially less stable signal. With a suitable slack buffer between the receiver and transmitter, the retransmission delay doesn't need to be constant or even predictable, thus messing with apparent time and frequency. With still more effort, one could detect individual satellite signals and retransmit them separately with different and varying delays, thus messing with the apparent position relationships of the birds at any point in time.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/