[time-nuts] Determining Time-Nut infection severity

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Oct 25 05:28:51 UTC 2010

> A valid point has been brought up. What does a Time-Nut do with his
> equipment when he dies.

> Actually, I am serious here.

Think about it ahead of time and leave a note for whomever gets to take care
of your estate.  (and/or send a copy to your geek friends who may be helping
them)

Do you want to sell it, or give it away to a good home?

I figure my toys fall into several piles:

  Things like pliers and meters are generally useful.

  Things like soldering irons, scopes, and counters are generally useful, but
only to geeks.  The parts box(es) of resistors, chips, ... probably fall into
this pile.

  Things like TBolts and Z3801As are specialized and probably only useful to
a time-nut or ham.

Some gear may be primarily sentimental.

If you have a working LORAN receiver, it's a lot more interesting if you also
have a dummy LORAN transmitter to feed it, and then probably only interesting
to a time-nut.

Some "junk" may be interesting as a reminder because it looks neat even if
the new owner doesn't have a use for it (or even know what it is).  I'm
thinking of things like microwave plumbing.

When my parents moved out of their house, I found my grandfather's micrometer
in my dad's junk collection.  I don't use it much, but it's a nice reminder.

I have a circuit board from a computer I worked on 20+ years ago.  Those were
good times.