[time-nuts] Determining Time-Nut infection severity.

Michael Poulos poulosmd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 04:36:43 UTC 2010

Richard H McCorkle wrote:
> Time-Nuts,
>
> New members to the Time-Nuts list may wonder if the Time-Nut disease
> has infected them just by joining the list. A clear indication that
> someone has been infected with the Time-Nut disease is they own a
> reference that provides accurate time to better than 1us and
> frequency to better than 1e-9. This is a mild form of the disease,
> but as the infection progresses multiple standards appear, each
> having greater accuracy than the last...
>
> P.S. This was written for enjoyment and should not be taken
> seriously as an indication of a true medical condition.

I guess I'm a mild case. I bought a rubidium standard/clock "movement"
and I'm slowly building my own atomic clock. I have a WWVB wall clock
and a WWVB wristwatch. I first got the time bug discussing the Chicago
parking meter deal on a Chicago-specific blog. I bought the watch to use
as my car's "chronometer" for parking purposes. I was always vulnerable
to the time bug since childhood and New Year's Eve.

I got my Efratom Rb movement and a frequency divider chip on eBay, of
course. If I were to hit the Lottery, I'd love to get one of those
Agilent 5071A Cs movements!