[time-nuts] Time of death-Again

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Oct 30 10:26:54 UTC 2010

On 10/29/2010 03:11 PM, jimlux wrote:

>>> Msec pulsars are much more stable - see
>>> http://arxiv.org/pdf/0911.5534 for
>>> some comparisons.
>>
>> You get frequency from pulsars. I think you need something like a
>> (super)nova to establish a start-time so you can convert frequency to
>> time relative to that event.
>>

> These pulsars have different rates. Could one use the relative timing of
> two or three pulsars? that is, T=0 is when pulsar A, B, and C are
> coincident. (or is the "beat rate" between them too high to be useful)

That would assume a particular position in space in relation to these.
The time of coincident will differ with space location since the range
between them and the point of observation will be different. Is the
pulse phase coherent from all angles of a pulsar?

You could use pulsars, but you would need to have established your
location in space and compensated for the biases against the reference
observation. Also, you would need to handle long-term shift in rate,
gravitational potential at point of observation etc. etc.

Cheers,
Magnus