[time-nuts] Time of death-Again (absolute time)

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sat Oct 30 17:23:45 UTC 2010

It appears that there is no way of placing an event in time
across a cultural discontinuity (aliens, bombed back into the
stone age). Referencing an event in the past by an event in
the sky is no good if the new culture has no record of that
event.

For pulsar phases and radioactive decay, things get fuzzy
quickly as you try to extrapolate back in time from present
behavior. Also, the old culture had to have had the technology
to make the phase or decay measurements, but we're talking
about our own culture as it is today.

Dating with Carbon 14 is not certain, even if the laws of
atomic decay don't change (and we're talking about a time
before proton decay becomes prevalent). C14 is assumed to be
created at a constant rate by gamma rays in the upper atmosphere.

When a living thing dies, it always has the same ratio of C14
to C12 because C14 is assumed to be distributed uniformly through
the atmosphere. After death, the amount of C14 decays with a half
life of about 6000 years. This is adequate for human history, but
not on a cosmological scale.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating for the full
story. The rate of C14 formation depends on the strength of the
Earth's magnetic field as it affects gamma rays. The amount of
atmospheric C14 doubled during atomic testing. The distribution
of C14 in the atmosphere is not uniform. And so on.

Too bad. I was thinking that isotope dating could get you in the
neighborhood, where you could fine tune the estimate with pulsar
phase relationships -- if you could locate the pulsars and
predict their behavior at that time.

Bill Hawkins