[time-nuts] Does GPS time reception work everywhere all ofthetime?

Michael Conlen michael.conlen at ncf.edu
Wed Sep 1 18:33:07 UTC 2010

Absolutely. I've found four to be best. That leaves you with three in the
event of a failure, but if you go to five or beyond often NTP will switch
from one time server to another which causes it to think the time has
radically changed, and the clock goes faster/slower/faster/slower for a bit.

There is the option of having a preferred server which will minimize this if
you happen to know of one that should be particularly good, then NTP will
generally stick to that one unless it has good reason to switch.

NTP servers switching it's sense of what the correct time is randomly is the
biggest headache with applications I've dealt with since the other servers
getting time from your stratum 2 server may not adjust their sense of the
correct time in anything representing unison.

Now if I could just get the datacenter to let me put an antenna on their
roof...

--
Mike