[time-nuts] homebrew maser

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Sep 1 18:51:08 UTC 2010

On 09/01/2010 04:11 AM, Heathkid wrote:
> How about a "Laser-Cooled Mercury Ion Frequency Standard"?
> http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1225.pdf

I have way too little liquid helium dewar flasks at all... but sure, it
would be fun. I would certainly see a bunch of challenges in mixing down
from about 40,5 GHz.

> Here's another approach:
>
> "A diode-laser optical frequency standard based on laser-cooled Ca
> atoms:Sub-kilohertz spectroscopy by optical shelving detection"
> http://www.nist.gov/customcf/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=105042

Yet more challenges. Getting the visible light lasers frequency-related
to something like 10 MHz or 100 MHz is a whole bunch of optical
lab-bench and lockings later. Few labs have dared to achieve it as far
as I know. Who else but PTB?

Thank you for making a homebrew H-maser look simple! :)

Cheers,
Magnus