[time-nuts] Off Topic in the Extreme

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Sep 2 12:58:46 UTC 2010

Hi

The troubling part of my situation with Century / Embarq is that a hacked router in their plant, doing port forwarding poorly, would do create the issue I saw. The question now is - did they fix it or did the guy doing the forwarding fix his bug? In my case he's going to be sifting through a lot of spam and mailing lists to find anything useful. If it was a security breach, knowing about it would allow people to at least consider what might have been compromised.

Since they have only one network, a problem or hole in the residential network is no different than one in the business network. Other than last mile issues, fixing one fixes the other.

If people are poking holes in their network, they could just as easily play with timing traffic as anything else. I wonder if there are any bank vaults running on NTP time? Probably not. Lots of bank computers on NTP, and far more money in the computer than the vault.

Bob