[time-nuts] Maser info (vacuum levels)

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Thu Sep 2 18:30:00 UTC 2010

Two things helped a lot:  Big pumps and an LN2 cold trap.

The LN2 trap (as long as it is kept filled) will condense most everything
except a few "permanent" gases. It also stops the backflow of pump oil.
However, if something goes wrong, you would not believe the mess.

A technician that worked for me years ago told of a vacuum chamber that
was used to test some Apollo instruments, maybe 6' long and 5' diameter
with a pair of 18" - 24" oil diff pumps.

One night the AC power went off and the emergency sequence failed. The
diff pump oil was sucked back into the system. It took them weeks to take
the whole thing appart, clean everything (think 55 gallon drums of
Trichlor) and get it back together.

No thanks,

-John