[time-nuts] GPS ceramic patch in what plastic housing?

Kasper Pedersen time-nuts at kasperkp.dk
Mon Sep 6 17:26:18 UTC 2010

On 09/05/2010 06:12 PM, Peter Krengel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just did some experiments using a ceramic patch antenna inside a
> small plastic (80 x 30 x 20mm) screw box and experienced much bader signals at lower elevations.
> The plastic is marked as PS (I guess polystyrole ?). Further experiments
> covering a GPS with the same kind of box seemed to effect the signals
> too. On the other hand covering the patch with a flat pcs of the same
> material didnt effect the antenna.

Finding a suitable top for that gps module/patch/.. that is both the
right material and the right shape is hard. Just the right shape is
much easier. So:

I have had good success with vacuum forming such a beast. One particular
glass cup I have in the kitchen is flat top conical, of just the right
size. I put it on top of the ground plane, a 1mm sheet of
clear polycarbonate above that, and with an air pump and heat gun I
pulled the PC down around it. A bit of white paint on the inside, and
it looks really good.

/Kasper Pedersen