[time-nuts] Steve's new QTH...

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 22:05:50 UTC 2010

Burt,

On 8 September 2010 01:45, Burt I. Weiner <biwa at att.net> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Depending on the type of antenna used for your GPS, you might want to check
> the Zenith or vertical angle, and if possible, compare that to pre-quake
> positioning.  Your antenna may now be seeing a change in multipath from some
> nearby environmental change (no pun intended under the circumstances) that
> could cause a difference in reflected signals arriving at the antenna.

With that in mind I've just changed the default 10 deg elevation mask
angle to 30 deg and will see what effects that has. Looking closely at
the antenna mounting I cannot see any change in it's angle or position
but there may have been some movement of this area as we are on an
artificial bank abutting the wetland wildfowl park. What I really need
is a real GPS survey system to determine my correct location.

> Many years ago I ran into a combined group on Mt. Wilson, our local
> broadcast farm in the mountains, from Cal Tech and MIT that was measuring
> the movement between Southern California mountains using lazers.  While this
> was scientifically fascinating, it gave me the willies.

Yes, it really brings it home that we live on just the skin of a rice
pudding. This sort of thing must be a nightmare for the ground
stations in control of the GPS system. What happens if the 0 deg
meridian (used to be the Greenwich meridian) physically moves, do they
account for this I wonder. Considering that the American continent and
Europe/Africa are constantly moving apart, and Asia and the Americas
are moving closer, this must mean that the position of basically most
places on the Earth are constantly changing anyway. Makes you feel
like saying, where am I today.

73,
Steve ZL3TUV

> Burt, K6OQK
>

>> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 18:08:31 +1200
>> From: Steve Rooke <sar10538 at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Freestanding mast
>>

>> Well, Steve has been experiencing a LOT of after-shocks, some of which
>> are still big enough to move things around and I found I had to grab
>> hold of my cup of tea to stop it shaking onto the floor last night. In
>> fact these after-shocks are still opening up new cracks in roads and
>> causing buildings to fall.
>>
>> As for my height position, I have run a few surveys but I'm getting
>> varying readings and I wonder if the after-shocks are messing up the
>> survey results. The latest one which was during a fairly stable period
>> was 6.8 MSL.
>>
>> The mast could have sunk a bit or even this whole area could have done
>> as I live on reclaimed marsh-land. My Mothers 3 year old house looks
>> like it has sunk a bit at one and and risen at the other, ie. it looks
>> like it has tipped slightly as her house is built on a concrete
>> pontoon.
>>
>> It wouldn't surprise me if they adjust the height of MSL but I would
>> have thought they would have moved it the other way in an attempt to
>> forestall fears of the effects of Global Warming.
>>
>> Regards from Quake City,
>> Steve
>
> Burt I. Weiner Associates
> Broadcast Technical Services
> Glendale, California  U.S.A.
> biwa at att.net
> www.biwa.cc
> K6OQK

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
- Einstein