[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Sep 9 21:57:50 UTC 2010

Neat problem.  Please let us know what you finally do.

> 1e-11 only buys you 3000 seconds of drift before blowing the 30 ns budget.
> Without going to cesium we will most likely need some form of mutually
> visible synchronization.

How many Cesiums do you need?  What do they cost these days?  (at that volume
and govt rates)
What's the long term maintenance cost?

Can you afford to design, debug, and qualify something else at that total
price?

My straw man for an alternative would be to use the transmitter on the
airplanes as the signal source.  I think that works if you have extra ground
stations covering at least some regions which will have enough airplanes in
them to keep the system calibrated.  But maybe you need those extra ground
stations anyway so that the whole system doesn't fall apart when
fire/earthquake/tornado/whatever takes out one ground station.  (If so, you
have to think about what happens if one station does go out.)