[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Sep 10 00:01:36 UTC 2010

Adrian wrote:
> Ralph,
>
> so you're talking about 5.8E-14, right?
> I'd think no off the shelf caesium, even when run in a temperature
> controlled environment, will get you there.
> Well, at a first glance, a 5071A with high performance tube would, if
> you keep any environmental effects out.
> So you'll likely need to sync them through a reliable and reproduceable
> link.
> Just a quick shot though.
>
> Adrian

I would like to point out that the environmental sensitivities of
the 5071A are unmeasureable, and the measurement threshold is
far below 5.8E-14.  I would estimate that the 5071A (and ONLY the 5071A
among commercial clocks) could get the job done provided that you could
compare its frequency to GPS to the stated accuracy.  This would
be using the 5071 as a secondary standard.  You still need to
deal with the short term stability of the 5071A, depending on
your system needs.  JPL uses H masers as flywheels.

Rick Karlquist N6RK
member 5071A design team