[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Ralph Smith ralph at ralphsmith.org
Fri Sep 10 01:51:58 UTC 2010

On Sep 9, 2010, at 8:01 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> I would like to point out that the environmental sensitivities of
> the 5071A are unmeasureable, and the measurement threshold is
> far below 5.8E-14.  I would estimate that the 5071A (and ONLY the 5071A
> among commercial clocks) could get the job done provided that you could
> compare its frequency to GPS to the stated accuracy.  This would
> be using the 5071 as a secondary standard.  You still need to
> deal with the short term stability of the 5071A, depending on
> your system needs.  JPL uses H masers as flywheels.

I would imagine the cost of a 5071A per radio station would make the check writers swallow hard, and adding an H Maser into the mix would really get their attention. Especially if you need redundancy.

Thanks for all the input. Being asked to design for Armegeddon begs the question of what will the system do after that.

Ralph