[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Sep 10 04:18:16 UTC 2010

> Loran?

What was the stability of Loran when used to distribute time?  (I'm assuming
I can use something like GPS for calibration.)

Wikipedia says:

The absolute accuracy of LORAN-C varies from 0.10-0.25-nautical-mile (185-463
m). Repeatable accuracy is much greater, typically from 60-300-foot (18-91 m).

60 feet would make it hard to get 30 ns accuracy, and that's probably at sea
rather than in the mountains.