[time-nuts] Homebrew WWVB TX simulator?

Bob Clements time&nut* at clements.org
Tue Sep 14 21:49:14 UTC 2010

Randall said:

  Circuit Cellar did an article.
  Feburary 2010 #235 Page 38.
  This was a WWV simulator for a 2 part article the 2nd being a receiver.
  73s
  Randall ZL2RJP

Yup, I read that.  It didn't have the RF part of the TX.

Magnus said:

  If you don't need a precision carrier, but rather a signal good
  enough for rough testing then you should not need to do that
  much other than cooking up a 60 kHz sine oscillator (maybe a
  simple cos/sin oscillator on op-amps will suffice) and let
  either a CMOS switch (4066) do the AM-modulation by shorting a
  resistor or enabling an additional resistor-path into a summing
  op-amp. Should not consume that many parts.  Maybe add some
  damping stages such that levels can be controlled.  Maybe a PIC
  to do the modulations trains and a serial interface to set it
  up. In all about 3-4 chips. Should not be too hard.

  Cheers,
  Magnus

Yup.  You're reading my mind.  That's nearly exactly what I was
thinking of.  I was thinking of buying a canned oscillator
from someone.  Digikey and Mouser don't seem to have that
freq, but Intl Crystal will custom-order one for you.

Of course, one could go whole hog and put in an ethernet module
and send the bits from a server.  And add the nice display.
And a pushbutton to switch between receiving the real signal
and generating the local one and turning on the 60 kHz.

I was just wondering whether anyone had built some version of the
hardware so I don't have to.

Tnx all,
/Rcc