[time-nuts] WG mounting h/w (3)

Kit Scally kScally at BYTECAN.com.au
Thu Sep 23 02:34:54 UTC 2010

Robert,

Many apologies for giving you the "big snip" (!) - replying to TN postings when receiving via "Digest mode" leaves room for such mishaps.

I'm not familiar with 5/32" dowels or how well they fit in WG mounting holes. One major problem is European IEC & US-MIL spec'd flanges have varying size holes!  5/32 is 0.156 - this dowel may/may not fit WR75 (0.144 or 0.161) but will be "loose" on WR90 (0.169).  Then there's metric & imperial variations ...

What I can say with confidence that if you're building a WG run with 20-30 flanges (ie an HPA hybrid combiner) using disparate makes of hardware and don't take anal care with tapered pins on each and every joint, you <will> end up with dB's of ppk ripple when the assembly is swept end-end.  This is well-nigh impossible to reduce without re-aligning every flange.  If the system has only a few mating flanges, other methods may be OK.

I can appreciate how shoulder screws reduce the degree of craft assembly skill and assembly time required - certainly less messy than pins !  Thick flanges don't seem to be in common use in satellite earth stations.   (BTW - do dowels wear with use?)

Rgds,

Kit
VK2LL

*****************

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:44:37 +0000 (GMT)
From: Robert Atkinson <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] WG mounting h/w (2)
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
	<time-nuts at febo.com>

I think you are a snip too soon. My original post said "If you have to use screws, at least align two diagonal holes with 5/32" dowels while nipping up the ?first two screws". Taper pins are also OK of the taper is slight and flanges are not too thick. Don't tighten the first two screws too tight at first to aviod warping the flange.?In aircraft installations I've designed have used shoulder screws because they were specified by the equipment manufacturer.
?
Robert G8RPI.