[time-nuts] GPS clock offset frequency

Alexander Mayer amayer at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 28 09:54:44 UTC 2010

Can someone on this list provide me with a definitive engineering reference (not a second party academic assumption of the value) that provides the actual offset frequency of on-board GPS clocks set by the engineers?

GPS ground clocks have a fundamental frequency of 10.23 MHz. The GPS satellite clocks are designed tick a bit slower, but exactly how much slower? Some references say

10.229 999 999 543 MHz (e.g., Ashby and Spilker, 1996)

others say

10.229 999 995 43 MHz

which makes more sense, but might not be right. A lot is riding on that extra 9 and I do not want to assume what the value is based on canonical thinking.

Thank you

Alex