[time-nuts] Small quantity custom crystals

Dave Haupt w8nf at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 21:36:15 UTC 2010

When I was in the television transmitter biz, we ran 5th, 7th and 9th up to 216MHz using JFET Pierce oscillators.  We used the same oscillator for low VHF to high VHF and only changed an LC circuit to make sure the oscillator would "take off" on the correct overtone.  Our supplier of choice was Piezo Crystals.  Ovenized at 65C and IIRC we used SC cut crystals.  Not cheap, but we never had crystal problems. Also, a design engineer at Piezo named Lynn Heischman was always available as a consultant for osc and crystal design, even though we were a small quantity purchaser.

Dave W8NF