[time-nuts] SI Unit Problems

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 5 18:06:46 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 05:25 PM, Brooke Clarke wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Just reading at:
> http://futureboy.us/frinkdata/units.txt
>
> First about the candela and all it's problems, then what's a Time Nut
> issue "Hz ".
>
> // This means that, if you follow the rules of the SI,
> // 1 Hz = 1/s = 1 radian/s which is simply inconsistent and violates basic
> // ideas of sinusoidal motion, and is simply a stupid definition.

I've tried to check this against up-to-date references, and the NIST SP
811-1985 isn't a valid reference, it is also a derivate work.

Today you can get the hard docs here:

http://www.bipm.org/en/si/si_brochure/

I haven't had the brains to follow the rant, but I think the problem
doesn't exist any more. Current docs should make it coherent.

Cheers,
Magnus