[time-nuts] Proton Precession Magnetometer

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 01:26:26 UTC 2011

Hi,
I am boxing up my LPRO rubidium source in a steel box. The device is
to be thermostated
by controlling a small fan outside the box to keep the LPRO at about
40*C.
Although the unit is in a mumetal box I assume there may be some
penetration of earths magnetic field.
The steel box should help that.
To test this I want to build a very stable magnetometer. Now I know
that all you need is a jar of water or kerosene
to give you protons, and a coil around the jar to kick the protons
and then listen to them sing.
I have also been told that these instruments do not work in a
laboratory, as the AC magnetic field
drives them crazy.
I am thinking of lock in amplifiers and phase locked loops.
Also toroidal coil or paired coils.
Can anyone in this group point me to an easy to construct and
fiercely accurate design to build?

cheers, Neville Michie