[time-nuts] Portable standard

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Wed Apr 6 10:54:52 UTC 2011

Joe
Having OCXO's, Rb's, Tbolt's and a Cs running with battery backup, over
time I have used AGM, Ni-CAD, and now Ni-MH,, in all cases you have to have
ventilation. Also battery and electronics have to be separated as much as
possible since temperature is enemy #1 for any battery. Today most electronic
charge circuits use pulse mode and the cell voltage goes as high as 1.8
Volt. In  addition the battery has to be electronically separate from the user
since  having the Osc. connected directly to the battery will mess up the
charge  controller. I have a fast switch over that also cuts out the battery
to prevent  total discharge. If you are interested contact me directly.
I recently ordered a Li-Ion 12 V 9.5 A pack, ebay # 140512699149, have not
received it yet, but look forward testing it, to do the same with Ni-MH
would  cost three times as much and weight  and size would be at least twice.
Once  tested I will share the results.
I agree with the comment on using a Rb since there is no cost differential,
 just make sure that it has active or passive heat transfer to make sure
that the  batteries run as cool as possible.
 Bert Kehren  Miami

In a message dated 4/6/2011 3:14:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,