[time-nuts] Tissot wrist watch

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Wed Apr 6 14:11:16 UTC 2011

Greg Broburg wrote:
> For mechanical watch movements such as Rolex
> and Patek quality used a microphone to resolve
> the sounds of the escapement reference.

ALL watch manufacturers used such a system, even Timex.

  They
> had a strip chart recorder on the top and displayed
> the recovered acoustical signature onto a plot of
> against the internal crystal reference which ran a
> stepper motor moving the paper. I believe that the
> manufacturer was Heuer. Last look was 20 yrs ago.

There were a dozen or more manufacturers of watch timing
machines.  One of the most popular was the Vibrograf.
Greinier was another.

They were basically a mechanical version of an oscilloscope.

Inside the machine was a crystal, or tuning fork, reference,
which was divided down to a handful of frequencies that
corresponded to the popular balance wheel rates of the
various sized watches.  The resulting frequency (sinewave)
was fed to a power amplifier stage that drove a synchronous
motor.

The motor directly drove a drum that had a one turn spiral
of wire wrapped around it.   That wire formed the "sweep".

Geared to the motor was a paper feed system that fed a strip
of paper over the top of the drum.  It also drove a standard
typewriter ribbon to make a mark on the paper.

On the other side of the system, a piezoelectric transducer
picked up the mechanical vibrations of the watch, and a high
gain adjustable amplifier amplified the vibrations to a high
enough level that they could drive the coil on a solenoid
device that drove a bail that could strike the drum.  When the
bail struck the drum, it left a mark on the paper strip at the
intersection of the bail, and the spiral wire.  The watchmaker
knew the gain was adjusted correctly when the bail ticked
with a nice regular pattern at the same rate as the watch's
balance wheel.

Because of the inter relationships of the various parts, the
marks on the paper would represent a straight line when the watch's
rate matched the timing machine's.  They would veer off at a
positive, or negative angle if the watch was above, or below
the desired rate.

The timing machines typically have a plastic wheel with a set
of lines on it that can be rotated to match the pitch of the
line on the tape.  There was a dial that could be referenced
to read out the watch's error.

The absolute accuracy of the timing machine was not of great
importance.  The way it typically was used, was to quickly
set the watch to what the machine thought was correct, and
then the watch was given to the owner with the instructions
to wear it normally, and bring it back in a week... but don't
reset the time.  At the end of the week, the watchmaker would
compare the watch's time with the shop's standard clock,
calculate the owner's "personal error", and then set the
dial on the timing machine to compensate for that error.  The
watchmaker would then put the watch on the machine, and adjust
the balance wheel to match the dial on the machine.

-Chuck Harris