[time-nuts] cheap 5V OCXO in 14DIP has about 1E-9 drift per day

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat Apr 9 19:20:07 UTC 2011

At 02:51 PM 4/9/2011, Chuck Harris wrote...
>Ok, I'm going nuts.  Why are you guys using such a
>perverse way of indicating frequency?
>
>I was of the understanding that SI specified you display
>1.0MHz as 1.0MHz, or 1,0MHz.  But not 1M0 Hz.
>
>What's the story?

I suspect it's following the (most common in Europe) convention for
showing units on electrical schematics. e.g. 3k3 for a 3.3 k resistor,
where the multiplier is used in place of a decimal point. It's done
because decimal points sometimes don't reproduce/copy well. Certainly
not necessary, and non-standard, in email.