[time-nuts] cheap 5V OCXO in 14DIP has about 1E-9 drift per day

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 10 11:09:53 UTC 2011

On 04/09/2011 11:57 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:
> Hi Brooke,
>
> My recollection of first seeing the 4K7 style of marking was
> around about the time computers started being used for inventory
> control... 1970's. It was only the European companies that
> were doing it. It eliminated the confusion caused by the US/Eu
> "." and "," decimal points. It also is less prone to losing the
> "." on a component, or PCB mask.
>
> I acknowledge all of that. But as far as I know, it has never
> been used for time and frequency. That is what I am concerned
> about. It seriously degrades the readability of the emails that
> are formatted that way.

For components yes, for other usage... no.

Unit must be know for component type.

I see it as a short-hand being practical and avoids the . or , issues
(confusion and loosing them).

Outside of the component value situation I think SI should be applied.
I prefer 1 nF over 0,001 uF, 1000 pF or 1000 uuF. Also, 10 mF should be
used over 10000 uF. It's not that hard to do right...

Cheers,
Magnus