[time-nuts] GPS position averaging software?

lists at lazygranch.com lists at lazygranch.com
Wed Apr 13 17:59:52 UTC 2011

Google earth isn't very accurate, so I would chalk this up to coincidence.
There is a USGS website with accurate waypoints, some of which are visible via satellite. (Literally X marks the spot. They can be seen on google earth.) I don't recall the URL at the moment, but I'm sure somebody on the list has it. I've used this to test GPSs in the past. I've found my Garmin gps60csx locks in to 4ft, pretty much the resolution.

The vast majority of these reference marks are in the middle of the road. It takes a bit of work to find one that you can visit (public land) and linger on scene to do averaging.

It is the USGS NAIS database IIRC.