[time-nuts] Selecting a used HP sweep/frequency generator

Bob Bownes bownes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:38:58 UTC 2011

Thought I would consult the assembled wisdom here.

I'm looking for an HP frequency generator with sweep capability in the
1-20Mhz range. I can live with 1-11, and would really love 1-55, but
1-20 seems to be the most common. Other instruments I already own
cover 10 and up. The goal here is to have something complementary to
the 8640B, the 8620, and the 10m-20G sweeper.

The candidates at present are the 3324 and 3325.

The questions are:

1) Of the 3324 and 3325, are there any of the A/B/C/etc variants to
favour or avoid?

2) Are there any other candidates to consider?

This is for home, not work. Cost is, of course, a consideration. I
already have 10mhz standard, so being able to lock to that is a plus.

Thanks,
Bob