[time-nuts] Selecting a used HP sweep/frequency generator

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 15 13:13:30 UTC 2011

On 4/14/11 9:46 PM, bownes wrote:
> Thanks for the input folks. Based on what you all have said, my needs and the availability from a list member, I'm going to go with a 3325.
>
> I spent some time reading the manual this evening, which states that the 3325 will output up to 20,999,999.99 hz on the front connector and up to about 60Mhz on the aux rear connector. That might just be a very useful feature.
>
> As a side note, the need here is for a sweeper that can be used in conjunction with a network analyzer at the lower frequencies. The function generation of things other than sine is just a bonus.
>
> Thanks again for all the advice. Another question follows in a new post, so as not to hijack this one. ;)
We've got tons of 3325A and 3325B's at work

Some oddities:
you can't get non-sine at as high a frequency on the front panel.  I
think square waves go up to 10 MHz or so..
The backpanel waveform is always a sine, but not necessarily a very high
quality one.

You can sync multiple 3325s together, which is nice for testing I/Q
modulators and the like.