[time-nuts] LightSquared gets at least some political attention

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Sat Apr 16 04:17:01 UTC 2011

>The CEA is petitioning to have terrestrial TV refarmed to free up
>some spectrum. The wireless companies will both pay the government
>and the broadcasters to get the spectrum.

Yes, but only if Congress authorizes such "incentive auctions" (the
FCC doesn't have the authority to pay portions of auction proceeds to
the incumbents, without action by Congress).  That was looking all
but certain, but it appears to be getting less so every day.

>the HDTV plan was boned headed beyond belief. They should have never
>allowed HDTV in VHF, but stationed wanted parity with their analog status.

Actually, most TV stations requested UHF channels during the DTV
transition.  Some just couldn't be accommodated on UHF, and others
stayed on VHF to reduce operating costs (much lower transmitter
power, therefore much less electricity used).  It doesn't matter in
flat, rural areas, but in hilly country and dense metro areas it
does.  What the FCC SHOULD have done is chosen any of the available,
tested DTV modulation schemes that do not fail horribly when the
multipath index rises to 0.0001.  But no, following closely on the
brain-dead choices of NTSC ("never the same color"), the CQAM AM
stereo system, and others, they chose 8VSB.

If you hate DTV on VHF, you're gonna love what the FCC has
planned.  Its apparent intent is to "repack" all TV stations into the
existing VHF TV spectrum, thereby freeing up the UHF TV spectrum for
broadband.  (UHF TV is by far the largest chunk of spectrum suitable
for mobile wireless that the FCC can put its hands on -- around 230
MHz -- so it is an irresistable target in the FCC's current
panic.)  If the FCC gets everything it wants, ALL over-the-air
television will be VHF when they're done.  This will be a bloody
battle, and the outcome is uncertain.  One bright side is that they
could use the opportunity to ditch 8VSB in favor of something more
efficient and less prone to multipath -- but then everyone would need
yet another new TV or converter box....

Magnus wrote:

>But have you gone SFN? That would compact the frequency needs such
>that LTE style broadband could be done in UHF instead of breaking up
>the GPS signal.

See above -- the FCC already intends to repurpose the UHF TV spectrum
for wireless.  I predict that the US will not go for distributed SFN
-- it will instead put several broadcasters' digital streams onto one
existing transmitter/channel.  So (for example), instead of there
being 10 channels (10 transmitters) used to distribute 10 digital
payloads in a given market as at present, the same 10 digital
payloads (just a wee bit more heavily compressed  ;-) will be
distributed on only 3 channels using 3 of the existing
transmitters.  What now uses 60 MHz of spectrum would then use 18 MHz.

Best regards,

Charles