[time-nuts] 60hz disciplined watch

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Apr 20 16:39:10 UTC 2011

In message <4DAF0B0D.4080501 at earthlink.net>, Jim Lux writes:

>I found this in a generator interconnection agreement:
>
>This frequency response control shall, when enabled at the direction of
>CAISO, continuously monitor the system frequency and automatically
>reduce the real power output of the Asynchronous Generating Facility
>with a droop equal to a one-hundred (100) percent decrease in plant
>output for a five (5) percent rise in frequency (five (5) percent droop)
>above an intentional dead band of 0.036 Hz

Neither that text nor any other I have been able to find, guarantee
that the integral (= long term average) of the frequency will
converge on 60Hz, only that the instantaneous frequency will stay
in an particular range.

>tvb's data at http://leapsecond.com/pages/mains/  [...]

That data confirms what I said:  Maybe if you average over a couple
of months, but the practical problems related to doing that are
enormous.