[time-nuts] GPSDO for my rubber duckie

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 18:58:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Michael Sokolov
<msokolov at ivan.harhan.org> wrote:

> Fixing a logic mistake in an FPGA involves editing a Verilog source file
> and recompiling; fixing a logic mistake in discrete logic involves a
> board respin.  I much prefer editing ASCII text source files and
> recompiling over respinning PCBs.

Yes, compared to a PCB FPGA's are easy to change.  But all you need is
software, most of which already exists.

NTP software can keep system time within a few  milliseconds of UTC.
No custom hardware, no FPGA or PCB.    And this software is already in
common use.    The only remaining task is to convert UTC to this new
kind of time.   You don't need an FPGA to do a time conversion.

If the requirement were for nano second level accuracy then you need
the hardware but software using Internet pool servers is OK for
Milliseconds and NTP with a local GPS receiver can do micro seconds.

> MS

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California