[time-nuts] FTS 1050A What to do??

Paul A. Cianciolo paulc at snet.net
Tue Aug 9 16:06:04 UTC 2011

Hello Folks,

In my collection of stuff, I found an FTS 1050a in good condition.
It has been sitting for 5 years, and I decided to fire it up last night.
It works.
Opened it up and took a look inside.  The main reference is a large box
which I assumed was filled with foam insulation.
Everything is screw together, so I decided to take a look inside.
A bunch of control electronics, all the normal foam, with the cylinder
mounted in the middle of the foam.
The cylinder slides out, and Lo and Behold..... The oscillator sits inside a
little thermos bottle.
A Dewar, I guess its called.  I should point out that I am new to this area
of electronics and had never seen one of these before.
There is a rubber blanket all around the oscillator so it fits snugly into
the Dewar.
I reassembled it all, with breaking anything and fired it back up again.
All is fine.

So what the heck am I droning on about??

Well here is the deal; this is a special version of the 1050A made for cable
television companies.
The output is 6.0003  Mhz  that fed a comb generator creating harmonics that
were the local oscillator reference for each ascending cable TV channel.
So as nice as this thing is and I would like to use it..... What do you do
with a 6.0003 Mhz  frequency Standard.
Its not going to tune to 5. 00000 Mhz and its doubtful that the oven can be
modified without great expense.
Dividing the 6.0003 Mhz doesn't seem feasible.
Any suggestions?

It very nice to look at maybe I will put it in the rack for aesthetics
alone?
Bummed

Paul A. Cianciolo
W1VLF
http://www.rescueelectronics.com/
Our business computer network is  powered exclusively by solar and wind
power.
Converting Photons to Electrons for over 20 years