[time-nuts] FTS 1050A

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Aug 9 23:16:12 UTC 2011

Max Robinson wrote:
> If you use a D flip flop as a mixer it will produce the difference
> only. You have to get the D and clock signals right I forget which one
> has to be the highest frequency to make that work.
>
> Regards.
>
> Max.  K 4 O D S.

Why?
A D flipflop works well as a mixer when either the D input frequency is
higher than the clock frequency or vice versa.
A shift register makes a better mixer in that the probability of a
metastable state occurring at the shift register output is much smaller
than when a single flipflop (from the same logic family) is used.
For example clocking a 74HC164 at 5.000055MHz whilst driving its serial
data input at 5MHz produces a 55Hz beat note output albeit with jitter
of several 5.00055MHz clock periods.

Bruce