[time-nuts] Oscillator Buddy

ws at Yahoo warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 20:52:00 UTC 2011

Brooke

One simple way I'veused to eliminate the two problems you brought up is by
Greatly restricting the tuning effect of the Dac voltage.
Only big downside is you then may have to manually reset the nominal Osc
freq every once in a while if the Dac gets near a limit.
With a little thought an 8 bit Dac is more than enough to make a great GPSDO
out of a good Osc,
as long as the Osc also has a course freq tuning method like the HP 10811
does.

But what I was suggesting is not a GPSDO, but an open loop freq compensator.
Simplified example:
Make the analog output of the PIC equal to (K1 times measured temperature) +
(K2 times lapsed time)
With that, K1 can be used to cancel the Osc tempCoef and K2 the daily ageing
rate.

Having fun,  always
thanks
ws

**********

Hi Warren:

I looked into using a PIC to make a GPSO and there are two problems:
(1) is the number of bits you can get in the D/A converter.  The best
solution I've seen is used in the Quantic Q5200 GPS receiver which has
what amounts to an internal GPSDO with 48 bits in the oscillator drive.
It's in their US Patent 5440313 (link on Q5200 web page).
http://www.prc68.com/I/Q5200.shtml

(2) Noise on the control voltage.
When I was at HP/Agilent a neighboring engineer was THE man on their
4352 VCO/PLL tester.  The D/A converter in it and in the combo boxes
(4395 & 4396 among others) not only had a lot of bits it was also
extremely quiet.  Getting both of these is far from simple.
http://www.prc68.com/I/4395A.shtml

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com