[time-nuts] frequency stabilty question

Paul Cianciolo paulc at snet.net
Mon Aug 15 03:10:11 UTC 2011

Folks,

I amtrying to understand some of the terms used here quite often.
I quoted this from Wikipedia

An Allan deviation of 1.3×10−9 at observation time 1 s (i.e. τ = 1 s) should be interpreted as there being an instability in frequency between two observations a second apart with a relative root mean square(RMS) value of 1.3×10−9.

Does this mean the observations made were at the very begining and the very end of the 1 second time.
If so what value about all the values in between?   What happens if the oscillator deviated far worse than this during the interrim.

Or does the measurement consist of making  measurements every cycle during that 1 second and then entering all those values into a formula that accounts for them all??

Maybe a very basic tutorial on this topic would help but I cant find one

Signed very confused,
Thank You

PauLC
W1VLF